Welcome to a place of spiritual refreshment and contemplative conversation

Thursday, July 16, 2015

You Called?

YOU call to me through the one who is the love of my life. You call to me through my children and their lives. You call to me through my friends. You call to me through the people I see each day but know nothing about. You call to me through those who are truly complete strangers in my life…those whose path my feet will never tread upon. You call to me through the terrorist who bombs my fellow Americans. You call to me through Obama and Putin and Iran and ISIS and Republicans and Democrats and the ultra rich and the utterly impoverished.

You call…as you have called all of my life…without ever stopping, without ever letting up, never ceasing long enough to take a breath. You call morning and evening. Again and again. Day and night. Night and day. Out of the dawn and into the dusk.

Am I listening? Do I hear you above the fray and beneath the din? In those rare moments when I actually do hear your call, it is always a sweet beckoning. It is a call that feels bathed in love. Bathed in compassion. Bathed in forgiveness. Bathed in joy. Bathed in a deep yearning for all people and all life to live knowing, sensing, listening for and hearing it.

There is no trace of judgment in your voices. No trace of condescension. No trace of anger, malice or vengefulness. Just the pure simple clarion call of love coming to me through the beat of a hummingbird’s wings.

It is a call to life…a call that rings out to all that you have made…every creature, every cricket.  And it is the call to life. It’s here always. But it’s a call that, most of the time, I’m missing…because I’m not listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment