Welcome to a place of spiritual refreshment and contemplative conversation

Friday, April 17, 2020

WHEN MY DAY IS STILL SOFT




Here's a poem I finished writing this morning to help you start--or perhaps jumpstart--your day. Enjoy!


WHEN MY DAY IS STILL SOFT

I love coming to you, O day,
in this moment of early morning
when all is still soft, is still malleable, still maybe.

When there is still dew on the bright yellow forsythia petals
and I am infused with the delicate fragrances of spring’s dawn
before her golden tresses are swept from her face by the morning breeze.

When your potential is still full and rich...infinite.
And, ever so briefly, you hold at bay
the stale leftover worries of the night
and the spirit-tainting concerns already knocking at this day’s door.

When, like the wind filling a ship’s sails,
you breathe into me, you inspire me,
and gently sway me toward this course and not that one,
toward this harbor and not that one.

I love coming to you, O day,
when life is still in limbo,
its eyes casting outward, upward, onward,
with hope and promise wrinkling their corners in joyful possibility.

Soon, too soon, the din will begin again,
and I, with the rest of the world,
will rise to the choices and challenges laid before me;
Demands that only I can deem worthy of my essence and energy.

Then, before I know it, the evening’s allure will beckon me homeward
and, when looking back over the shoulder of my day,
I will see that yet another page of my small but sacred history
has been irrevocably carved into the gray muted stones of time.

That moment’s inevitability will be upon me sooner than I wish,
but here...now...I relish still your sweet softness
that pulls me close and whispers into the ear of my soul,
“I am yours.”


No comments:

Post a Comment