Welcome to a place of spiritual refreshment and contemplative conversation

Friday, September 24, 2021

THE ANOINTING (PART III)

What I hope to convey in this final series of thoughts based on Paul’s “fruit of the spirit” (Galatians 5:22) is how the Holy Spirit’s presence anoints, that is, brings its holiness--its capacity to make all things truly new--to every situation. Living our day conscious of this changes everything from how we interpret what happens to us to how we feel about ourselves in light of it to how we respond to the situation.   

 

This anxiety and angst I’m feeling . . . .

is anointed with the Holy Spirit’s love.

This disappointing setback I’m dealing with. . . .

is anointed with the Holy Spirit’s joy.

This sudden turn of events in my life . . . . 

is anointed with the Holy Spirit’s peace.

This longing to be loved deep inside me . . . . 

is anointed with the Holy Spirit’s patience.

This cruelty I’ve committed against my neighbor . . . .

is anointed with the Holy Spirit’s kindness.

This caring for all of creation . . . . 

is anointed with the Holy Spirit’s faithfulness.

This painful loss and grief I’m experiencing . . . . 

is anointed with the Holy Spirit’s gentleness.

This inner ambivalence that’s plaguing me . . . . 

is anointed with the Holy Spirit’s self-control.


No comments:

Post a Comment