Welcome to a place of spiritual refreshment and contemplative conversation

Friday, March 25, 2022

STANDING IN THE RAIN

I close my eyes and look up, 

smiling gleefully at the skies.

I open my mouth wide 

and feel fat dollops of rain

splashing in my face,

splatting raucously 

on my super-stretched tongue, 

rivuleting through my hair

and down the nape of my neck.

Suddenly I’m seven.

So very young,

and so very, very alive!

I don’t care if I get soaked. 

I want to get soaked! 

Soaked down to my socks.

When does one get old?

Is it the day we decide 

we don’t want to get wet?

But then what do we miss

that the children still get? 

When do we lose our love 

of splashing like a wilding

through the summoning puddles? 

Admit, I must, few are the times 

when I haven’t dashed inside, 

and far fewer still the times 

I’ve purposefully gone out 

to play in the pelting rain. 

Yet those have been the moments 

that I’ve felt most alive, 

weightless with joyful abandon, 

gloriously, uproariously free.


No comments:

Post a Comment