Welcome to a place of spiritual refreshment and contemplative conversation

Monday, May 23, 2022

ONE THOUGHT AWAY

We’re never more than one thought away from a different world.

I’ve been sending my writings your way twice a week for just over two years now. And, while you never know what I’m going to say you always know what it’ll be about: THINKING. Yes, I am a quintessential “dog with a bone” on this subject. 

And unapologetically so.

Why? Because in my day-to-day experience, I am being constantly bombarded with voices telling me WHAT to think. So are you. People near (family, friends, loved ones) and far (coworkers, acquaintances, complete strangers) are constantly attempting--and frequently succeeding--in influencing what we think. BUT FAR FEWER VOICES ARE ENCOURAGING US TO CONSIDER “HOW” WE THINK…that is, how we come to hold a particular opinion, belief or position about someone or something. AND EVEN FEWER ARE HELPING US GET BETTER AT HOW WE THINK…that is, at choosing better underlying premises which in turn lead to better decisions vis-a-vis the world.  That's my bone.

But there’s good news here. No. GREAT news here! 

There is nothing in the world that is more accessible to us than how we think…and, logistically speaking, there is nothing we can change as instantaneously or easily as our thinking. Finally, there is nothing in the world that will have as positive and profound an effect on it as improving how we think…AND NOTHING THE WORLD NEEDS MORE.

So I’m just going to keep on digging for that same tasty old bone.

Fortunately, there are plenty here for everyone!

TODAY.

LET’S GIVE THE WORLD & OURSELVES A GIFT.

LET’S THINK ABOUT HOW WE CAN THINK BETTER.

No comments:

Post a Comment