Welcome to a place of spiritual refreshment and contemplative conversation

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

The Gift

Be it a birthday, a holiday, or some other special occasion, we're often amused when watching young children open gifts. We joke about their fascination with the wrapping rather than the gift itself!

I wonder. Are we adults any different even when it comes to much more substantial things? Take religion, for instance. Could this be a way of understanding what we’ve done with Christianity and Judaism and Islam, Hinduism, Shintoism--and all the rest of the world's religions? Are these not just the wrapping rather than the gift within each of them?

I consider myself a follower of Jesus Christ. To say that being one has profoundly shaped my life would be an understatement. Way under. I'm extremely grateful to all who have nurtured and walked with me down this particular spiritual path. But even I am leery of being called a "Christian" these days--because of the packaging associated with the term. Most Christians, and I suspect, most other religious types as well, have become so fixated on the wrapping, (i.e. the interpretation of their sacred scriptures and the creation/promotion of their doctrines, dogma, traditions, practices, etc.) none of us can see that, like little children, we are frequently more fascinated with the gift wrapping than with the gift inside! 

Yes, gift wrapping has its purpose. It highlights the significance of the gift. It adds to its specialness and it protects it. But it pales in comparison to the gift, doesn't it? Shouldn't it? Is it any wonder then, why "non-religious" types want nothing to do with us church/synagogue/mosque-goers? Might this not be a significant reason why many people so quickly acknowledge they are spiritual but not religious? If so, I'll have what they're having!

So what is the gift inside? Is it God? Spirit? Our "higher power?" Nirvana? Well-being? Unconditional love? Is it this moment--the present in all its potential and splendor? Is it life? Our aliveness? Collective consciousness? Karma? Joy? Beauty? Ground of Being? Might it be all of the above? Might it be something that lies far beyond all doctrines and dogma, beyond all words and language? Might it be something that is so indescribably wonderful and powerful that it can only be experienced beyond the packaging...and then respectfully and reverently expressed in the presence of another being? Now we're getting close.

I won't speak for you, but for me, whatever the gift is, I want to be fascinated with it rather than with all things external. And I believe I actually need you to help me do this because I have a hunch that you and/or the relationship between us--no matter how distant--just might be the gift.


ADDENDUM

For those among us who are followers of Jesus Christ, the season of Lent which begins today is all about acknowledging our spiritual path. This is something we can only truly do if we acknowledge the path of others as well...whether they come in our particular wrapping or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment