Welcome to a place of spiritual refreshment and contemplative conversation

Monday, January 23, 2017

I CAN...





"Never let what you can’t do keep you from doing what you can."

These words can be helpful and motivating in virtually every situation. In the midst of escalating tensions and communal instability in our interpersonal, local, national and global relationships, now might be a good time to consider how we can apply them. Here are some ways. What might you add?

I can...
     ...be respectful no matter what, knowing that this alone will help diffuse volatility.
I can...
     ...bring calm by being calm, even when those around me are not.
I can...
     ...listen--truly listen--to what those who think differently than me have to say.
I can...
     ...admit that I don’t know everything. I have a lot to learn.
I can...
     …decide not to give in to smugness or cynicism or apathy.
I can...
     ...show compassion toward all, especially those most adversely affected in troubling times.
I can
     ...be open, even if I think whatever is happening can’t possibly be good--or bad.
I can...
     ...remember that things could be worse.
I can...
     ...make an impact with my voice, my time, my resources, my energy, my life.
I can...
     …choose not to let anything make me surrender my peace, my joy, my hope.
I can...
     ...commit to looking at things from a larger, more unifying perspective.

In life, there will always be things we can't do. So, let's be creative and courageous about all the things we can!

Finally, beloved, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. (Philippians 4:8, NRSV Bible)










1 comment:

  1. I would love to hear some positive "I Can" examples of how others who read this blog are responding to help heal the current tension and anxiety we are experiencing in our country.

    ReplyDelete