Welcome to a place of spiritual refreshment and contemplative conversation

Tuesday, July 24, 2018

SUMMONED BY LOVE

Just turned one, all of one.
Wiggly. Resolute. Joyful. Cranky.
Perpetual motion. Emotion. Commotion.
Jonah: my grandson.

He reaches for me.
No, throws himself at me,
knowing without knowing
that I will catch him.
“Leap, and the net will appear.”

The feeling elicited in me? Joy.
Such pure, sweet expression of vulnerability,
such harmonious fusion of need and desire,
such confident invitation into intimacy!

Love’s ancient and ageless summons,
this is what it looks like coming from one of one.
In the same instant freely given,
completely captivating.

To be sought after by one so young,
thereby invited into love’s rules of engagement,
is instantaneously disarming,
heart-warming, reorienting.

If such an incontrovertible subpoena by love
doesn’t immediately reset
all our defaults and presets,
all our attitudes and altitudes,
we’d better check to see
if we still have
a pulse.


Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” (Matthew 19:14)

No comments:

Post a Comment