Welcome to a place of spiritual refreshment and contemplative conversation

Friday, July 24, 2020

SWEEPING THE FLOOR

Here's one I'm pretty sure you can relate to... 


Sometimes when I meditate
something happens.

Some sweet or savory morsel is offered.
A mariners’ bell clanks in the fog,
a solitary candle bursts into flame,
a distant drum is struck,
an apparition of insight appears,
a wisdom from within wiggles free.

Sometimes it comes quickly,
a parade, no two--at the same time!
Coming from opposite ends of Main Street.

Sometimes it comes slow but steady
A stream of leadings
one upon another's shoulders,
building, building, building,
like bricks laid up and up and up
until a grand edifice is finished.

Sometimes it’s an occasional “Aha!”
like the salt that makes the steak,
that carries me through for another day or two.

Sometimes the wait-for-it is long,
like waiting for bread to rise,
paint to dry,
a child to give up diapers.

Sometimes I don’t know how long I’ve sat
after the show was over and the curtain closed,
waiting for more, for yet another encore.

And sometimes nothing comes at all.
I guess I just came to sweep the floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment