Welcome to a place of spiritual refreshment and contemplative conversation

Tuesday, April 6, 2021

GOING GRAY

Those of you who knew me forty (40) years ago saw my first gray hairs when I was in my late twenties. (Uffda!) But I’m not talking about those. I mean, theologically speaking, I’ve been slowly going gray all my adult life, that is, I’ve been moving away from black and white belief systems, doctrines and dogma--the ones that teach “Do this and you’ll go to heaven/hell.”. . . . and away from literalistic interpretations of the Bible, especially about Jesus Christ and his teachings.

At the same time I’ve been moving toward a very different kind of “knowing.” 

Ironically--after all these years of studying, preaching, teaching and pastoring--I feel I know less “about” God than ever and I’m far less confident or certain about who or what God is. At the same time, I feel my understanding of the term “God” has evolved and expanded exponentially, I “know” God more deeply and intimately than ever before, and my one-on-one relationship with this One-Who-Is-In-All is sweeter and stronger for it.

It’s been quite a ride. 

I’ve experienced some of what the 16th C. Spanish mystic/poet St. John of the Cross called “the dark night of the soul.” (I suspect you have, too.) I’ve experienced innumerable crash and burns as well as “Behold, I make all things new. . . .” moments in my faith journey. (You, too?) And this trip’s nowhere near over. 

I write this because I think it might be helpful for you to know a bit about where I’m coming from--and where I’m going--when you read my writings. How about you? What has been the trajectory of your spiritual journey? Where are you today--at this moment in your life--compared with where you started out? 

Going gray. . . . and loving it.


TODAY.

LET’S GIVE THE WORLD & OURSELVES A GIFT.

LET’S TAKE TIME TO THINK ABOUT WHAT WE BELIEVE. . . . AND WHY.


No comments:

Post a Comment