Welcome to a place of spiritual refreshment and contemplative conversation

Monday, October 25, 2021

LIVE YOUR BEST LIFE*

I’m sorry, but something about this pop-up, if hackneyed, phrase makes me want to stick my finger down my throat. 

Maybe it’s the unadulterated narcissism with its bald premise that life should be all about you--or better yet--me. Maybe it’s feeling that our self-aggrandizing culture has upped the ante again. Living the good life is no longer good enough. No, the only life worth living is our “best” life. Maybe it’s the erroneous notion that there actually is such a thing as a “best” life out there. But you only get one so don’t blow it!  

Then again, maybe it’s the phrase’s underriding value system which implies that living is all about “besting,” that is, being, having, doing the best of this, the best of that--and so worthy of all our time, energy and resources. Maybe it’s knowing that this thinking sets us up for chronic failure by creating ever higher, ever more unattainable goals. Or, maybe it’s the arrogance of thinking that you and I can determine what’s best for ourselves--never mind what’s best for anyone else. 

As our 4 year old grandson Jonah would say to me, “Baboo, I need a little halp here.”

*I have mixed feelings about what I’ve written today. My take on “live your best life” is both critical and negative. Is it legit? (Hmm.) I can see you going at least two ways: 1. It reveals a lot about biases--mine, and maybe yours. (Hmm again.) 2. It’s a fine example of how easily our thinking can go down a rabbit hole, one thought blindly following another.

Either way, it’s dark down here.

TODAY.

LET’S GIVE THE WORLD & OURSELVES A GIFT.

LET’S THINK ABOUT OUR BIASES…& OUR RABBIT HOLES.

No comments:

Post a Comment