Welcome to a place of spiritual refreshment and contemplative conversation

Monday, November 15, 2021

JOY TO THE WORLD

You know by now one of my favorite topics is joy. It’s a prominent life theme for me. More than that, it’s my personal mission statement in just four words: BE JOY. BRING JOY.

I try to start (and sometimes restart) every moment of every minute, hour, and day with joy. Why? Because it’s the best attitude and feeling there is. Because in its purest form it’s unconditional. Because when I’m feeling joy, I’m feeling fantastic. It’s when I’m most resilient, most altruistic, most generous, most forgiving, most insightful, most aware, most enthusiastic, and most in touch with both my internal and external landscape. 

It’s when I’m at my personal best. It’s how I access my greatest creativity, make my best decisions, experience my deepest sense of wellbeing, feel my healthiest sense of control. It’s when I’m less likely to be controlling, manipulative, or egocentric (Well, a little!). 

In short, it’s when I’m most alive!

Can we “conjure up” the feeling of joy? Absolutely. Just like we manufacture any other feeling (love, hate, fear, anger, etc.)--often doing so with such finesse and frequency that we don’t even think about it. In fact, based on early childhood experiences and taught values, we learn certain emotions and clusters of emotions. We become so proficient at feeling them that, from an early age on, they become habit. For better...and worse. Once so, we no longer need to think in order to feel them. In fact, we need to mindfully think to NOT feel them!  

Often, we don’t even think about the fact that we can choose what we feel--and that we are doing so absolutely every waking minute of our lives. No, we just go there. Feel our feelings. Do them. And then they do--or undo--us.

TODAY.

LET’S GIVE THE WORLD & OURSELVES A GIFT.

LET’S TAKE TIME TO THINK ABOUT HOW WE FEEL.


No comments:

Post a Comment