Welcome to a place of spiritual refreshment and contemplative conversation

Saturday, November 27, 2021

MATTER

Most things don’t matter.

Yes, some things do, 

and those things really matter!

But most of the things, especially

those that twist my psyche into a pretzel?

Well, they just don’t.

It’s just so easy to get confused

--and then stay there--

about what is and isn’t important. 

So, when it comes 

to the do’s and don'ts of matter, 

I turn to love.

It keeps asking me,

“What’s the loving thing to do?”

Besides, it helps me cull 

my wheat from my chaff, 

it motheringly chides me 

not to bother taking offense 

at every little thing my ego 

prods me to go ballistic over, 

and it smooths the grooves

of my oh-so-easily-ruffled feathers. 

So, I’m learning, slowly, yes,

but I’m learning, I can trust 

in the thrust of love. 

Plus, I like the friends 

that Love hangs with. 

Faith, soft and sweet, 

reminds me not to rely 

on my puny little self so I can see

my own bigger, brighter, bolder picture.

And Hope? Hope keeps me playing my life forward 

even when I get stuck in my own mud. 

No, most things really don’t matter

but Faith, Hope and Love?

Yes, these three.

They really do.

(Based on I Corinthians 13:13)

No comments:

Post a Comment