Welcome to a place of spiritual refreshment and contemplative conversation

Saturday, April 23, 2022

BE STILL MY SOUL

Me. I’m in dialogue with my soul. 

I’m telling it to be still. 

What a thought. How audacious!

After all, my soul is already still. 

Always was. Always will be.

But maybe there’s some place else 

where the stilling needs to happen. 

So perhaps instead of talking,

I should be listening to my soul,

to what it would like to say to me? 

Could be that, by its stillness, 

it already is speaking to me, 

and rather loudly at that,

telling me to chill, saying, 

“Stop taking yourself so seriously!” 

Sounds like it’s addressing my ego

which just may be the culprit

that is stirring up my stillness.

In which case, as is often the case,

it's my ego that needs to be stilled.

“Start,” my soul is saying to me,

 “(and maybe end) by giving thanks,” 

because giving thanks 

doesn’t just entreat respect. 

It engenders reverence, 

reverence for life,

for all of my life--just as it is--

even when my stillness

is all stirred up.

No comments:

Post a Comment