Welcome to a place of spiritual refreshment and contemplative conversation

Friday, February 19, 2021

A MILLION MORNINGS AGO

I look out on the ocean 

from my window seat up high.

The seas, the skies, 

the distant isles greet me, 

“Goo’ day, matey!”

--just as they did yesterday--

with an irrepressible cheeriness.


A whole day has passed, 

the long night as well, 

and so much has happened 

since this time then.

Yet, gazing out at this dawn’s dawning, 

I see the other side of life’s coin, 

where little has lapsed, 

where same gets its name,

and the world is as it was 

a million mornings ago.


I see a lone gull dipping and diving, 

gleefully dancing with the wind,

as if the two are best friends.

I saw that gull’s aerial antics yesterday,

but was it the same or one come and gone?

Has it already sung its swan song?

It reminds me that, in the air of all things living,

I, too, am just passing through, 

dipping, diving, and dancing 

with the winds of time. 


The timeless and timely, 

where do they meet?

At a single rendezvous point

throughout the whole of history

where they’ve met every morning 

since the beginning of is,

at the place where they, too, 

like gull and wind, are besties.

Here they kiss this new day into being,

here they toast their love of all things living,

here they fill each life’s cup full to brimming,

just like they did a million mornings ago.


Where is this place, 

and what is its name? 

The place is Here. 

And its name? 

Now.



No comments:

Post a Comment