Welcome to a place of spiritual refreshment and contemplative conversation

Monday, February 8, 2021

MEDITATION 101: PRACTICALLY SPEAKING (Part 6 of 6)

When I was growing up my father’s business sold major appliances. So, if the fridge broke he’d bring home a new fridge...or stove...or furnace. I was impressed. “How smart of him!” I thought, and I enthusiastically affirmed to my 10 year old self, “When I grow up, I’m going to be just like Dad! I’m going to pick a job that’s totally practical!” Eighteen years later, I became a pastor. 

Why are you laughing? 

I’m serious! What could be more practical than learning how to think--and helping others do the same. No. This doesn’t sound very “Christian.” But this is essentially what any and all religion is, isn’t it? Ultimately, isn’t the purpose of the preacher’s sermon to help us think about how we think? Isn’t this why Jesus preached his famous Sermon on the Mount? (And for that matter, isn’t this why it’s included in the Bible--to shape our thinking?!)

When we “think” we formulate thoughts and feelings. From those thoughts and feelings we formulate our beliefs. From those beliefs we formulate our actions. So, how we think is foundational to how we live--with ourselves and with each other. 

This is why I encourage us to learn and engage in the practice of meditation. It gets us to the roots of our thinking and even deeper--into the soil of our soul--where we can come to truly know ourselves, what motivates our being, and how to transform what we learn into concrete ways of contributing to the wellbeing of the world.

Practically speaking.

TODAY.

LET’S GIVE THE WORLD & OURSELVES A GIFT.

LET’S TAKE TIME TO THINK ABOUT HOW WE THINK.

No comments:

Post a Comment