Welcome to a place of spiritual refreshment and contemplative conversation

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Dual Consciousness

I need constant reminders of God's power for and in me. And life gives them to me; this morning’s sunshine, that cardinal’s sweet song, the breath I’m breathing. I’m surrounded with signs. 

But do I see them? How can I be aware of them? How many road signs have I missed? And how lost I have become! 

Slow down, Jer. Train yourself to be intentionally conscious in this moment, and then the next moment, and the next. Stop yourself right in the middle of things, right in the middle of today, right in the middle of Life and you will momentarily see deeply again and again. 

To enter into this training in consciousness is to be faithful to God, to life, to love and oddly, to your True Self. Consciousness is about being attuned to both what’s going on at the surface, and what’s going on deep beneath it. It is dual consciousness, that is, awareness of both the physical and the spiritual dimensions of Life at the same time.

Dual consciousness...it is the discipline of Lent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment