Welcome to a place of spiritual refreshment and contemplative conversation

Monday, March 23, 2015

Night Games


When I was a child one of my favorite evening activities from the first of spring to the last of autumn was to gather with my young friends in the neighborhood and play outdoor games...Captain May I, Anti-Over, Red Light Green Light, Vanishing Riders, King of the Mountain. Chasing after one of my cronies or racing to escape his or her clutches, I felt, "Life doesn't get any better than this!" In deed, in those moments life was good, very good.

But then, from somewhere between houses and hedges in my quaint little Minnesota town, I heard a voice. Felt like God but no, it was Mom or Dad calling, "Jerry...time to come in!" I was being summoned to bath, bed and beyond. And I hated it. I pretended I didn't hear it. I did my best to ignore it. I'd argue "I only heard you call once!" when I finally showed up, hot and sweaty at the back door. "Just a little while longer? The other kids..." But it never worked. Instead, love prevailed. Whether I understood it as this or not, love prevailed.

I was blessed with a mother and father who loved my siblings and me deeply...deeply enough to call us in--or call us out, depending on what was needed. No, I'm not a kid anymore. And, the names of the games have all changed. But I am one of the fortunate ones. My parents loved me with a love that prevailed. And so, most days and nights, I still feel "Life doesn't get any better than this!" 

Life's circumstances have become far more complicated than back in those idyllic days. All the more reason why I am thankful that God's all-prevailing love comes to us...and through us...no matter what we think or do.

"The Lord will keep your going out and your coming in from this time on and forevermore." (Psalm 121:8)









No comments:

Post a Comment