Welcome to a place of spiritual refreshment and contemplative conversation

Monday, August 31, 2020

SPEAK FREELY

When was the last time you sat down and truly listened to what’s “on” your mind?

If yours is like mine it’s talking to you nonstop--often, about you--telling you what it thinks of you. (And it’s not all good.) But just because it’s talking doesn’t mean we’re listening, right? Further, sometimes we act on what our minds tell us without ever really “thinking” about it--without critiquing or evaluating what we’re hearing. (Hence the saying, “What were you thinking?!”)

Of course, our minds are doing exactly what we’ve instructed them to do: give us real time on-the-ground intel on anything and everything we deem relevant. One of the tasks of consciousness then, is for us to evaluate and act on that “intelligence.”

It’s easy to miss (or dismiss) the opportunity to “stop and think.” But, unless we make a conscious effort to use our brains to help us think about how well they're doing at what they’re doing, we just think the way we’ve always thought--even though life needs us to move on--to continue to evolve and expand along with the rest of the universe around us.

I suggest we give our brains a chance to speak freely. To do this I give myself as little as 15-30 minutes (longer if possible) to sit down and write whatever it tells me. Word for word. No filters. No editing. No spell check. (Frankly, I just try to keep up with it!) It may need to rant for a while but I love seeing where it eventually takes me. Among its many benefits, I find I actually make up the time it takes to do this by better evaluating, prioritizing and executing my day’s activities.

Why is this easy exercise so valuable?

We are accustomed to “fast think.” It’s what life requires of us all day long. But this exercise falls into the category of “slow think” which is equally valuable--and essential. It’s why I don’t consider this exercise a brain dump but rather as one of uncovering vein upon vein of gold.


TODAY.

LET’S DO THE WORLD & OURSELVES A FAVOR.

LET’S TAKE TIME TO THINK ABOUT HOW WE THINK.

No comments:

Post a Comment