Welcome to a place of spiritual refreshment and contemplative conversation

Monday, December 13, 2021

FIRST AUDIENCE

FIRST AUDIENCE

Something funny’s going on here.

I write these words (hopefully) for your benefit, right? (My ego likes to think “I’ve got this one!”) But when I honestly ask, “How do they apply to my life?” sometimes I get this uncanny “custom tailored” (read: Gulp!) feeling. For instance, when I finished writing “Unstick,” I felt like I heard a voice saying, “Jer, this is precisely the kind of thinking YOU will personally benefit from greatly!” It’s as if I’m my own first audience.

And that’s my point. When it comes to our thoughts, even though we may think we’re directing them toward someone else--like it or not--WE ARE OUR OWN FIRST AUDIENCE. 

This is what’s so wonderful about wisdom: No need to argue over where it came from--God, parents, universe, life, subconscious, soul, experience, Holy Spirit, divine spark, life force--all of the above. Fact is, it’s here. And it’s in each of us. Further, being wisdom, it just makes good organic sense that it must speak TO us before it can speak THROUGH us--in order to be authentic-- which it cannot not be.

I’m not talking here about our self-critical voice (the one that likes to chop us up into bite size pieces) or to the voices of the world on their constant creep. The good news is, we know this voice when we hear it. Softly, compassionately, intimately, it only speaks truth--and only in love. 

Yes, we do need to stop everything to hear this still small voice. But isn’t wisdom worth it? And besides, isn’t it easier to hear the hard stuff from deep within our own loving selves rather than from somewhere else?

Nothing funny about that.


TODAY.

LET’S GIVE THE WORLD & OURSELVES A GIFT.

LET’S THINK ABOUT BEING A GOOD FIRST AUDIENCE.



No comments:

Post a Comment