Welcome to a place of spiritual refreshment and contemplative conversation

Monday, May 10, 2021

KEEPERS OF THE PATH

There is a forest path through ancient hammock dunes in Anastasia State Park near our home in St. Augustine, Florida. Some years ago a severe storm came through and took down a few trees and many branches. Because I often walk it early, on the morning after I got there before the park personnel arrived to clear the debris. 

 That day I made an executive decision designating myself as a “keeper of the path," that is, as one who would care for it, keeping the path clear so others could safely enjoy its plethora of natural beauty and wildlife.

 Speaking of others, I nearly always encounter people when I walk this path. Some, walking faster than me, pass me from behind. Others, I overtake. Some come from the opposite direction. Still others have stopped to rest and take in its splendor. I’ve noticed that as I approach or pass them some quickly greet me. Others are deep in conversation or thought and acknowledge my presence with just a quick nod or wave. Still others don’t even make eye contact unless I greet them.

 Sounds a lot like life in general, doesn’t it? 

 What if the path our lives take throughout this day--a day that may be filled with dangerous storms and most certainly with debris (emotional/relational/mental/political/spiritual)--is a path all those around us are also taking in their own way and at their own pace? What if we designate ourselves as its keepers--caring for whatever and whomever we come upon--so that all who follow us can look up and around at this beautiful world instead of their feet and all those who are coming at this life from the opposite direction we are (emotionally/etc...)--will experience its beauty and wonder just as much as we do?

From one keeper to another…

TODAY.

LET’S GIVE THE WORLD & OURSELVES A GIFT.

LET’S TAKE TIME TO THINK ABOUT HOW WE ACT.

 

  


No comments:

Post a Comment