Welcome to a place of spiritual refreshment and contemplative conversation

Monday, May 3, 2021

LIFE ON THE OTHER SIDE

Near the end of her stirring rendition of Over the Rainbow, the late Eva Cassidy sings the refrain into a new key with such power and passion that every time I hear it I get the chills. “She’s there,” I say to myself, “She’s singing from the other side of the rainbow.”

Life on the other side of the rainbow. Is that something we can only dream and sing songs about? I don’t think so. I believe it’s very possible. And it’s easier than you might think. But how do we get there from here? 

Thankfulness. 

Not just any thankfulness. I mean the before-the-fact, proactive kind that doesn’t wait around for us to feel good before we’re grateful. And I’m not channeling Pollyanna here. It doesn’t whitewash bad things that happen. It doesn’t make them magically disappear. It doesn’t lessen their consequences in the least. 

But it does do some pretty amazing things.

This unconditional thankfulness maintains our inner balance and outer composure. It enables us to cope creatively. Its pay-it-forward approach frees us to be fully present rather than render ourselves victimized--highjacked by our own emotions. And, for a bonus, it frees up our sense of humor!

It’s not snake oil. This stuff really works. Even a little bit goes a long, long ways. Try it right now. Think of a dozen things for which you are grateful. Now stay here. It only takes a moment to begin. By consciously living in a spirit of thankfulness we build a bridge--a rainbow--that takes us all the way to the other side--only to discover that the other side is available to us right here, too. 

"For, in fact, the kingdom of God is among you." (Luke 17:20b-21)

PS: While out walking yesterday morning I was reflecting on this  ‘carte blanche thankfulness’ theme when I came upon a woman wearing a tee shirt that said “STAY GRATEFUL!” No kidding. 

“Hmm,” I thought, “You’re good, God. Very, very good.” 


TODAY.

LET’S GIVE THE WORLD & OURSELVES A GIFT.

LET’S THINK ABOUT WHAT WE BELIEVE. . . . AND WHY.

No comments:

Post a Comment